Sunday, October 19, 2008

The Indians and the Native Americans

A girl in my class has been learning about her Native American roots from her family. In 3rd grade we study Native Americans so she's been very into her cultural roots the last few months. The other day we had done some free writing time and I asked for volunteers to do Author's Chair. (Author's Chair is when students read a piece of their writing to the class and receive positive and constructive feedback from their peers.) This particular student was desperate to be the first to share. She begins reading her story and it goes something like this: "So, a long time ago there were the Native Americans and the Indians. The Native Americans came here on a big ship. When they got here, the Native Americans saw the Indians. The Indians taught the Native Americans all kinds of stuff. The Indians showed the Native Americans how to plant corn. The Native Americans had no idea how to plant or make any food until the Native Americans showed them how. Then the Native Americans and the Indians had a big war. The Indians beat the Native Americans in the war and the Native Americans made the Indians leave the land. And that's why they're called Native Americans." There was about 20 seconds of complete silence while I tried to find something to say. "Ok," I said. "I think we all learned something new today.

4 comments:

Eric and Cheryl said...

Yay! I'm really glad you are blogging. I look forward to your many stories.

Also, that blog I was telling you about is...www.kissesfromkatie.blogspot.com.
It is such a wonderful read and I hope you will enjoy it as much as I have.

Stephanie said...

Glad to see that you are blogging! I love both of your stories! It seems that teachers always have such great stories about all the kids and all of the little things that go on in their minds.

Dana said...

So, was there some reteaching after this? =) Just a few misconceptions to clear up... but sometimes reality is so much less interesting!

Linda C. said...

This made me laugh outloud, especially at your comment at the end. I feel enlightened...and somewhat confused.