Sunday, October 19, 2008

A "green dice" hero!

So, I have the joy and struggle this year of having a student with severe mental disabilities in my class. He is incredibly sweet and loving, and adds quite a bit of unexpected variety to my day. He frequently brings toys and random objects from home to school, which always creates problems. A few weeks ago he brought a green die (single dice). I quickly reminded him that things from home had to stay in his backpack. What happens when I try to make him put toys away is this: me:"Put the toy away." Him:"No." Me: "I would hate for you to lose your special toy." Him: "I'm going to throw my toy at him" (gestures to another student). Me: "No, no...you will not throw it at him. I'm going to put it over here on this table." Him: "YOU STOLE MY TOY!!! ITS NOT YOUR TOY!! YOU CAN'T STEAL IT!! I'M TELLING EVERYONE YOU STOLE MY TOY!! DON'T STEAL MY TOY!!" As I see the green dice I know this entire conversation is coming. So I asked him to just keep the die in his pocket. He puts it in the tiny little pocket on his shirt that is barely big enough to hold a single die. Throughout the beginning of the morning I see him take out the die every time I turn around. I keep reminding him to put it away and he reminds me that I "better not steal" his toy. After I pick up the class from P.E. I see him lean over in the hallway and out rolls the green die. The green square rolls all the way down the hallway towards me. I quickly look at him to see if he's noticed the absence of the die in his pocket. He doesn't. I think to myself, "This is my golden opportunity to get rid of this problem." I pick up the die and put it in my pocket, undetected. We go back to the classroom and begin working on spelling. About 10 minutes later my student stands up and yells, "STON!!" (He can't say "Langston" so he calls me "ston"...its one of my favorite things ever!) "STON!! MY GREEN DICE, MY GREEN DICE IS GONE!!" I ask the class to get started on the spelling assignment. "Oh no." I say to him."What do you think happened to your green dice?" "P.E." he says. "Lost at P.E." "Oh no." I respond looking very concerned. "So maybe you should have put it in your backpack like I said huh?" He's panicking now and asking to go back to P.E. to find it. I assure him he can't go down there by himself, and I can't go with him because I have to stay with the rest of the class. But I promise him I will go look for it later in the day. All the while, a big square is sticking out of my pants' pocket where I have the green die. He spends the rest of the morning pretty solemn, lamenting every so often, "Ston, my dice. My dice, Ston!' When I go to pick up the class from lunch, I see he's still feeling very subdued. After lunch he goes to his special education pull-out class, and I knew he was ready to know the truth. "Guess what?" I say with a twinkle in my eye. "At lunch I found your green dice." I present it to him out of my pocket. Immediately his eyes light up, a huge smile spreads across his face, and he wraps himself around me. "Oh Ston!" he exclaims. "Ston, ston you find my green dice, my green dice!" "Now, what should I do with it?" I ask him, holding my breath for the answer I'm hoping for. "Pack-pack," he says quickly. "Ston, put it in my pack-pack." YES! I've won! Problem solved. Just when I think it couldn't get better, I get another warm hug and the words that stay with me still: "Ston, you're my green dice hero!" Perfection.

3 comments:

breanna said...

this really is the greatest story. it's just as nice the second time around. i love him! and i love you, ston!

Dana said...

What a heart warming story! I am so glad you are taking the time to share.
How do you feel about everyone calling you Ston from now on?

Boone said...

(from Mom)I loved this. It would make a good Hallmark movie with "Him" played by the cute little boy from Sixth Sense, you played by me, and Mr. Ston played by, ummmm, Brad Pitt or Tom Selleck (maybe Brad's a little young to play Mr. Ston opposite me.) You're a great writer!!!